Friday, October 17, 2008

The tyranny of emotional comfort

When I refuse to confront, when I attempt to sweep under the rug a hard issue of consequence, I relegate my soul to an eventual flaccid existence. What do I fight for? My personal solitude. What do I teach people in the process? That truth, that real things concerning the well being of Christ's church take a back seat to supposed interpersonal tranquility. Love is indeed the constraining factor in all interactions but it is also the brazen foundation and reason for dealing with conflict head on. If I reject this I will be the serf of my emotional comfort indefinitely.

1 comment:

Daniel Forrest said...

Amen brother. I find my own soul slow to reckon with anything once it jeopardizes my emotional edifice, no matter how festering the interior is.